baslinux - Re: [BL] java and tax software

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] java and tax software
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:37:47 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> I found http://www.blackdown.org and eventually the download links for
> j2re and j2sdk at ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/JDK-1.4.2/i386/03 (there are
> also 01 and 02 which are of earlier dates). These are 13 and 33MB,
> compressed packages. Are these the plug-ins?

The JRE is, but the SDK should be for developing Java applets.
If you want Sun's Java Runtime Environment, try Sun's website:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml

This is really more of an Opera/Java question than a BL one.
All Unix-like operating systems should behave similarly for
installation of browser plugins. Just make sure that your
glibc is reasonably up-to-date and there should be no
problems unless you somehow download a buggy JRE.

> I could do all my taxes with a solar calculator quicker than I could
> download 13MB.

Same here. This might explain why I was able to switch to BL so
easily - I had no dependence on proprietary tax software.
I tried some free, HTML-only web-based service that the IRS
offered (a 3rd party actually hosted the service) several years
ago, but gave up because it was more complex than manual tax
filing.

> 'The JDK for linux relies on motif for much of its user GUI' - where do I
> get motif, and is that something that goes on top of icewm?

Slackware has motif libraries. grep MANIFEST for motif or lesstif.
Motif is a toolkit just like Xt or Gtk or Qt. It's a little smaller than
either. The Ted word processor uses it, so if you have ever used
Ted then you have used Motif. Motif is (at least, it used to be)
not free, so someone made Lesstif, a compatible clone.

> Can java be added to links2 and used in text mode (without motif)?

I don't think so. Does links2 even accept plugins?

David