baslinux - Re: [BL] java and tax software

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] java and tax software
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:16:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

They claim you need Windows (95 or later) or Mac, but a linux list says
you don't. System requirements are also cookies, javascript, and java,
and IE, Netscape, Firefox, Opera, or AOL (or Safari).

Has anyone installed the full-size Opera with java support,

Just I just tried it with Opera and I got it going without
any problem. Although my Opera has the java plug-in, it
wasn't used (as far as I could tell).

I ran across many mentions of the java plugin failing to
work. Opera informed me that I would need motif to use
any plugins.

The java plug-in works fine on my Java (maybe I installed
motif sometime in the dark past -- don't remember).

Opera used to come in a java version (15MB) and a non-java version (5MB) but they don't seem to do that now.

I found http://www.blackdown.org and eventually the download links for
j2re and j2sdk at ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/JDK-1.4.2/i386/03 (there are also 01 and 02 which are of earlier dates). These are 13 and 33MB, compressed packages. Are these the plug-ins? The accompanying text file says something about installing plug-ins. Can a plug-in be this huge?

I could do all my taxes with a solar calculator quicker than I could download 13MB.

Someone please explain what/where the java plug-in is.

'The JDK for linux relies on motif for much of its user GUI' - where do I get motif, and is that something that goes on top of icewm? Also if you get the shared version (and have motif) you can use java in text mode.

What do I do with java other than attach it to Opera?.
Can java be added to links2 and used in text mode (without motif)?

????????

Is BL2 set up for using at/atd to put messages to the screen at specified dates and times? I typed atd then at: cannot get uid for daemon: No such file or directory. I have not used at but found mention of it in a book.
I could, for instance, have it flash a message on the screen at 11 pm "go to bed". Maybe every 15 minutes. And play a tune (requires loading sound modules first). Surprise my partner. Why does atd need a uid?