baslinux - [BL] java and tax software

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] java and tax software
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:15:29 +0000 (UTC)

There seems to be no usable linux income tax software but http://www.taxactonline.com provides free software online for calculating, e-filing and printing US Income tax forms. (Extra charge for state taxes, but often they only take a few minutes manually).

They claim you need Windows (95 or later) or Mac, but a linux list says you don't. System requirements are also cookies, javascript, and java, and IE, Netscape, Firefox, Opera, or AOL (or Safari).

Has anyone installed the full-size Opera with java support, or Firefox with Java plugin? I ran across many mentions of the java plugin failing to work. Opera informed me that I would need motif to use any plugins.

I used a solar-powered calculator to do my taxes (instead of dc or the icewm or BL3 calculators for X).

I am surprised the US Gov does not provide free software online.