baslinux - Re: [BL] java and tax software

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] java and tax software
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:20:32 -0000

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I found http://www.blackdown.org and eventually the download links for
j2re and j2sdk at ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/JDK-1.4.2/i386/03 (there are
also 01 and 02 which are of earlier dates). These are 13 and 33MB,
compressed packages. Are these the plug-ins?

The JRE is, but the SDK should be for developing Java applets.
If you want Sun's Java Runtime Environment, try Sun's website:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml

I found a JRE 1.1.3 (1.3.1?) recommended by Opera that is 15MB, even worse than the above JDK.

This is really more of an Opera/Java question than a BL one.
All Unix-like operating systems should behave similarly for
installation of browser plugins. Just make sure that your
glibc is reasonably up-to-date and there should be no
problems unless you somehow download a buggy JRE.

Is a JRE something like solibs? Only what you need to run programs but not compile them?

I could do all my taxes with a solar calculator quicker than I could
download 13MB.

Same here. This might explain why I was able to switch to BL so
easily - I had no dependence on proprietary tax software.
I tried some free, HTML-only web-based service that the IRS
offered (a 3rd party actually hosted the service) several years
ago, but gave up because it was more complex than manual tax
filing.

The one I tried needs java - what did you try?
I might be able to do my taxes with sc, after a couple of hours to learn it and set up the calculations. A friend still calculates his taxes on a Commodore with a spreadsheet.

'The JDK for linux relies on motif for much of its user GUI' - where do I
get motif, and is that something that goes on top of icewm?

Slackware has motif libraries. grep MANIFEST for motif or lesstif.
Motif is a toolkit just like Xt or Gtk or Qt. It's a little smaller than
either. The Ted word processor uses it, so if you have ever used
Ted then you have used Motif. Motif is (at least, it used to be)
not free, so someone made Lesstif, a compatible clone.

I tried Ted compiled statically with Motif, which was quite slow and not keyboard-friendly.

Opera 7 I don't think required motif for plugins, 8 does. Odd.

Can java be added to links2 and used in text mode (without motif)?

I don't think so. Does links2 even accept plugins?

It accepts viewers and players as Associations. How do you define a plug-in?

If I ever need Java online I can walk an hour to and from the public library to use it there, faster. Thought it may not be a good place to file taxes (in public).

Our local bbs (Cyberspace) is talking about adding java because a couple of people want to program with it (for OpenBSD). I don't think OpenBSD is supported by Java. One person persuaded the bbs to adopt OpenBSD for security reasons.

David