baslinux - Re: [BL] Linksys wireless ethernet PCMCIA card WPC11 ver 4

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linksys wireless ethernet PCMCIA card WPC11 ver 4
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:37:08 +0000 (UTC)

We were given a Linksys Wireless-B Notebook Adapter WPC11 ver 4, which
unlike earlier versions appears to be supported by Linksys only by way of
Windows drivers using 'ndiswrapper'. Can this be done in BL, maybe with
2.2.26 or 2.4.31 kernel?

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
They provide a link to the realtek site for the proper driver and say not
to use the one from linksys (which I don't have anyway).

Realtek actually does provide linux driver source code for the 8180, but it is labelled RH73 and required kernel 2.4.18 and gcc 2.96 or later kernels and gccs (2.6 or 2.4.20 with 3.something gcc). I tried to compile with gcc 2.95.3 and got nowhere (lots of warnings and exited with an error). Would uclibc gcc do better here?

I also tried to compile ndiswrapper and it wanted 2.4.31 kernel source, since I am using 2.4.31 kernel. I will try again with 2.2.16, but it is not said to work with 2.2.16 after it is compiled.

I downloaded the Win98 driver - don't know if ndiswrapper requires a specific version of the Windows driver. The driver is only 102K, but there are also about 1MB of 'utilities'. The ndiswrapper code has a /utils.

Our card works with version 1.1 (March 2005) and kernel 2.4.29.

132K .tar.gz source code, which I will compile dynamically for 2.2.25 and
then statically with uclibc if anyone wants it for BL3.