baslinux - Re: [BL] Linksys wireless ethernet PCMCIA card WPC11 ver 4

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linksys wireless ethernet PCMCIA card WPC11 ver 4
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:27:21 +0000 (UTC)

Before putting much more effort into streaming audio, we may try to
connect to the neighbor's broadband connection us so we can listen at
24K-32K without it cutting out for 30 sec at a time, or running at 1/5
advertised speed at other times.

We were given a Linksys Wireless-B Notebook Adapter WPC11 ver 4, which
unlike earlier versions appears to be supported by Linksys only by way of
Windows drivers using 'ndiswrapper'. Can this be done in BL, maybe with
2.2.26 or 2.4.31 kernel?

Linksys supposedly offered free exchanges for ver 3 but another linux user
eventually gave up trying and returned it for a refund instead.

The card is identified in other people's linuxes as rtl8139 (realtek).
Make that rtl8180L

Are any wireless ethernet manufacturers still providing linux drivers?

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
They provide a link to the realtek site for the proper driver and say not to use the one from linksys (which I don't have anyway).

Version 1.8 is current stable.

Our card works with version 1.1 (March 2005) and kernel 2.4.29.

132K .tar.gz source code, which I will compile dynamically for 2.2.25 and then statically with uclibc if anyone wants it for BL3.

NDIS - network driver interface specification
Lets you use native Windows drivers with PCI and PCMCIA network cards, USB-to-serial devices, and other things listed at the site, which also lists all the cards known to work with this wrapper.

I might try it with a recent wired PCI ethernet card.