baslinux - Re: [BL] More Busyboxen

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] More Busyboxen
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:18:06 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> Pine won't let me view the script as text, says it is in 'SH' format.

Can you set it to treat certain file types as text?

> > You will probably want to modify this script to put some links in
> > /sbin instead.
>
> I notice some of the links to busybox programs are already in /sbin, which
> is before busybox on the path. Which other ones should be moved there?

/sbin is supposed to be for anything that is useless for a normal user but
is useful for root in single user mode. This includes basic configuration
tools which are not usable by users, such as insmod, rmmod, e2fsck,
ifconfig, etc. Also, basic utilities used to go into multiuser mode, such
as init, getty.

If an applet is usable by an ordinary user, such as ping, ls, cp, etc.
and is needed in single user mode, it goes in /bin. /usr/bin and
/usr/sbin are essentially the same, but they contain programs that
are useful only after you have logged in as a user (or root).

If all of this is making your head spin, just find a copy of
busybox.links, such as this one:

http://svn.gnumonks.org/trunk/a780/src/busybox/busybox.links

It contains a list of most of the links and where they go.

David