baslinux - Re: [BL] logging system error messages

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] logging system error messages
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 05:05:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 12/19/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
Does BL2 keep a log of error messages produced just before a crash?
Or do I need to start some program to keep the log?

I think you need to start syslogd and klogd to record kernel
messages. This probably will not survive a crash, so you
will need to write down 'oops' messages.

Will either of these preserve the messages during boot that don't show up in dmesg? I am getting them about hdb irq timeout waiting for DMA, and DMA disabled. A friend thinks this is a primary controller problem, so I will move hdb to hdd as a test or a cure. Would this DMA problem have any effect on running BL3 loop from hda DOS partition?

In another computer hdb was found only part of the time, but hda was fine.

After I upgraded one computer from 350 to 500MHz (AMD K6-2) and also
switched to a kernel that I compiled with added scsi (general and sd) and
framebuffer (vesafb) support, I have had three sudden crashes, including
two freezes, and just now when I switched vts:
unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address:.....
oops:0000
....killing interrupt handler

The keyboard also acted screwy a few times - either stopped responding at
all, or keys started typing double (some not at all). Interrupt problem?

Unlikely. A NULL pointer dereference is somewhat like a segfault,
only it happens in kernel. Basically, the kernel is trying to access
a portion of memory which does not exist (NULL). Since this
happened with more than one compiler version, this is probably
a bug in the source code. 2.4 is likely to have fixed this.

David

This bug only occurs when using your or my two 2.2.16 framebuffer kernels (I tried with and without scsi support). It always crashes when I switch vts during a 'make bzImage' or 'make dep', sometimes with pages and pages of numbers rolling by, sometimes just one page and a freeze.

When I looked up some of the error messages there was much talk of kernel bugs, but why does it only happen with framebuffer, because it uses memory differently?

But it might also be related to my DMA hardware problem so I will test another computer with kernel source code on it. The other one here could not be made to crash by simply switching vts. What else could I do to try to crash things reproducibly?

I will try your 2.4.31 framebuffer kernel after this.