baslinux - Re: [BL] new release of BL?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new release of BL?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 03:01:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 12/14/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, David Moberg wrote:
Why don't you take an existing kernel and make an initrd to boot from
SCSI with? Just take the blppaz initrd, resize it (if necessary), replace
the zip disk modules with a scsi controller module and change /linuxrc
to a script that just insmods everything.

This sounds very educational. It might wait until January when we put
together a scsi-only computer. We have one nice board with scsi boot and
usb, but bad IDE controller. Did you say your 2.4.31 kernel has scsi
support (will boot from scsi drive) but it was broken?

I don't remember what I said. In any case, it has SCSI support, but no
built-in support for a particular SCSI card (you need a module).

You actually said framebuffer was broken, not scsi.

I think I would need to put the module into initrd.gz (assuming there is space for it - I could leave out printer.o from the version I made).

I know it should go online,

Once I include slhc. But you also need a new pppd than
what BL provides.
Why?

For usb support I would need SW91 kernel source code. Will this compile
with SW71 compiler and SW81 glibc?

I think it needs gcc-2.95.3. I don't have SW91 source, but the 2.4.19
documentation says gcc-2.95.3 is the minimum.

That may be in SW71 contrib CD. I know I found some gcc version there.

I might try scsi.s as a starter on the scsi computer and then either make
an initrd.gz with scsi or compile a kernel if your 2.4.31 is not suitable.
Your 2.2.16 USB won't work with my USB devices (camera and card reader).

True, but printers and mice ought to work.

I don't have any usb printers and don't need a usb mouse (we have PS/2 adaptors for them). The camera/card reader are our only usb.

Can you make a memory stick bootable?

Yes.

Have you tried booting BL3 (the 20MB file system) from a memory stick
using 2.4.31 kernel and an initrd.gz?

No. I don't know how to make a bootable memory stick (yet).

Would it run faster than from hard drive?

Depends on the hard drive. USB1.1 is ~10mbps which is faster
than parallel port but slower than my slowest hard drive.

Faster than booting from floppy or zip disk and easier to carry around than a zip drive.

Would you use syslinux on the memory stick?

Probably. Or grub if it would work on a memory stick.

If it worked, could someone copy over the disk image?

Yes, but the image might be large without compression.
Not sure if it would need to be resized for a different sized
memory stick. I have 128MB.

Do you have to copy the entire 128MB to an image file?

David