baslinux - [BL] GRUB stuff

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] GRUB stuff
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 08:47:44 -0500

Sorry, folks, I thought I had saved (whose?) instructions on how to search
BL list archives with Google. Please remind me.

In recent weeks, I've done a "frugal" install of Damn Small Linux on this
computer. It has changed the MBR of the first hard disk so that (somehow)
a boot menu comes up, giving choices on which OS to boot.

Someone's message (on a DSL forum) made me think perhaps I could have that
boot menu include my Basic Linux 3.32, which had been installed on a hard
drive.

But it was a struggle to get the syntax correct in the menu.lst that GRUB
uses.

I did look on line, but am still unclear as to how to do it.

The below works, for which I'm glad.

What does initrd mean? I used to think ram disk, but maybe it's root
directory? Or something else?

Thanks,
Sheldon

=================

This is the file menu.lst, on a primary ext2fs partition on the first hard
disk (hda3). Some of the lines might get wrapped.

######## modified 12/11/05
# This sets the default entry to boot.
# Remember that GRUB counts from 0, so 1 is the second entry.

default 0

# This sets the length of time in seconds that grub will wait for the user
# to select an OS before it boots the default one.

timeout 5

title Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
boot

# Experimental DSL entry
title DSL-exp
kernel /boot/linux24 fromhd=/dev/hda3 root=/dev/hda3 quiet base nopcmcia
frugal home=hdb4 opt=hdb4 write
initrd /boot/minirt24.gz

# Basic Linux 3.32 is on 2nd hard drive
title BL3-HD
root (hd0,0)
kernel /baslin/zimage root=/dev/hdb2 rw

# Original entry for DSL here created by its install
title DSL
kernel /boot/linux24 root=/dev/hda3 quiet vga=normal noacpi noapm nodma
noscsi frugal
initrd /boot/minirt24.gz