baslinux - Re: [BL] new release of BL?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new release of BL?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:33:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Can you also put memory_cs in config

No. I have no PCMCIA memory card so I can't test it.
I test everything that goes into BL3.

If I get this to work do you want to use what works for me?

You did not test the mutt add-ons thoroughly. I hope you have replaced the BL3 package with the one Christof posted recently. And please fix the BL2 .pmailrc so that mailz will work with it. Or maybe delete it - yours ought to work with mutt apart from a difference in the smtp line (user or reply-to).

Also some other more common PCMCIA ethernet cards in config.

The most common PCMCIA ethernet module is already in BL3.
I have two PCMCIA ethernet cards and both work fine with
that module. I have no other PCMCIA ethernet cards to test.

Can you provide at least an additional (add-on) scsi kernel
for 2.2.26 with support for scsi boot and zip drives

I have no scsi hardware and know almost nothing about scsi.
However, I could compile a 2.2.26 kernel using the Slackware 7.1
config for the scsi.s kernel.

It will be half the size if you take your current config (with sound and usb support) and answer yes instead of module to basic scsi and scsi hard disk support (put those in the kernel instead of using modules scsi_mod and sd_mod).

You would also need to answer yes to the more common scsi controllers. All three of mine have been aic7xx - what do other list members have?

The SW71 kernel probably supports lots of other controllers and has built-in support for sr and sg and other scsi devices. These can be added as modules, it is the hard disk support that is needed built-in to boot.

This should make it possible to boot from a scsi hard drive (with lilo if the computer BIOS supports scsi boot, or with loadlin from DOS ide drive).

I should try this, install-to-hd to scsi drive (partitioned and formatted first) from ramdisk BL2 or loop BL3 booted with the SW71 scsi kernel, then use the scsi kernel with loadlin to access BL on this scsi drive.

Is there already a SW71 kernel/config with USB and sound and scsi?

Are flash memory sticks (usb) also scsi? If so, maybe BL could be booted from flash memory stick. My neighbor's is 256MB. I have several computers that boot from scsi. Would newer ones boot from memory stick?
Can you make a memory stick bootable?

Thanks for keeping BL up to date. I am amazed how much it can do.
Just can't upgrade some 1997 modems to V.90.