baslinux - Re: [BL] Framebuffer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Framebuffer
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:42:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 12/12/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Nguyen The Luan wrote:

Hi All

I need to configure framebuffer to my BasicLinux,
Because I'm intending to develop some GUI based on NanoX package.

NanoX (aka microwindows) also works with svgalib. I wonder if it has
the Kdrive 8-bit color problem? If not, it might be useful for BL.
Nanox is another type of X?
Can Mplayer be used with svgalib instead of X or vesafb?

David Moberg has compiled a vesa framebuffer kernel which he posted as a
package (with some modules) a while back - if he no longer has it I will
post it for you. You need to make /dev/fb too:
mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0

Slackware has several fb-capable kernels-I don't remember which
ones are vesafb-capable. I will check if you want.

Your kernel is about half the size of theirs and works well for me.

Then you boot, if using loadlin, with vga=N at the end of the line,
choosing the correct number for your resolution and color depth.
640 uses vga=786 (I think this is 16 million colors). You can find this
info online for framebuffer.

This is for vesafb. The official documentation for this is in the linux
source archive. linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

If you do not boot with the vga= parameter, you can load one of the
other framebuffer modules - provided that you have a compatible
card.

Matrox?

He also provided xfbdev - a framebuffer X, that works at the resolution at
which you booted, but has the same drawback as Xvesa in that it won't do
256 colors. Or you can use regular X, or Xvesa in framebuffer mode.

There is also a full-size X server which uses FB and does not have the
8-bit color problem. But it is bigger than xfbdev.

Does this server have any advantages over the SVGA server?

His 2.4.31 kernel with USB support also has framebuffer support and is
still posted - search the thread 'USB and the digital camera' from this
past month. vga=788 800 res, 790 is 1024 res (16-bit color?).

Actually, I think the FB support in that kernel is broken. I am trying to
fix it.

Let me know when to test a working copy.

Please set your email program not to send html, which makes the makes 3-4
times as large and contributes nothing useful.

Is mine sending HTML or plain text?

Plain text. I know about the HTML if I use pine and type v while reading - it shows for instance 9 lines of plain text and 24 lines of html that says the same thing in much more space. And when reading the plain text part, there is a line saying that something else is attached.

David