baslinux - Re: [BL] Framebuffer

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Framebuffer
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:56:35 -0800

On 12/12/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Nguyen The Luan wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > I need to configure framebuffer to my BasicLinux,
> > Because I'm intending to develop some GUI based on NanoX package.

NanoX (aka microwindows) also works with svgalib. I wonder if it has
the Kdrive 8-bit color problem? If not, it might be useful for BL.

> David Moberg has compiled a vesa framebuffer kernel which he posted as a
> package (with some modules) a while back - if he no longer has it I will
> post it for you. You need to make /dev/fb too:
> mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0

Slackware has several fb-capable kernels-I don't remember which
ones are vesafb-capable. I will check if you want.

> Then you boot, if using loadlin, with vga=N at the end of the line,
> choosing the correct number for your resolution and color depth.
> 640 uses vga=786 (I think this is 16 million colors). You can find this
> info online for framebuffer.

This is for vesafb. The official documentation for this is in the linux
source archive. linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

If you do not boot with the vga= parameter, you can load one of the
other framebuffer modules - provided that you have a compatible
card.

> He also provided xfbdev - a framebuffer X, that works at the resolution at
> which you booted, but has the same drawback as Xvesa in that it won't do
> 256 colors. Or you can use regular X, or Xvesa in framebuffer mode.

There is also a full-size X server which uses FB and does not have the
8-bit color problem. But it is bigger than xfbdev.

> His 2.4.31 kernel with USB support also has framebuffer support and is
> still posted - search the thread 'USB and the digital camera' from this
> past month. vga=788 800 res, 790 is 1024 res (16-bit color?).

Actually, I think the FB support in that kernel is broken. I am trying to
fix it.

> Please set your email program not to send html, which makes the makes 3-4
> times as large and contributes nothing useful.

Is mine sending HTML or plain text?

David