baslinux - Re: [BL] Framebuffer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: "'baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Framebuffer
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:33:37 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Nguyen The Luan wrote:

Hi All

I need to configure framebuffer to my BasicLinux,
Because I'm intending to develop some GUI based on NanoX package.
Please give me some advices on this

Welcome back to the list, Nguyen.

David Moberg has compiled a vesa framebuffer kernel which he posted as a package (with some modules) a while back - if he no longer has it I will post it for you. You need to make /dev/fb too:
mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0

Then you boot, if using loadlin, with vga=N at the end of the line, choosing the correct number for your resolution and color depth.
640 uses vga=786 (I think this is 16 million colors). You can find this info online for framebuffer.

He also provided xfbdev - a framebuffer X, that works at the resolution at which you booted, but has the same drawback as Xvesa in that it won't do 256 colors. Or you can use regular X, or Xvesa in framebuffer mode. I was able to play DVDs in VESA fb mode, on a computer too slow to play them in X.

His 2.4.31 kernel with USB support also has framebuffer support and is still posted - search the thread 'USB and the digital camera' from this past month. vga=788 800 res, 790 is 1024 res (16-bit color?).

Please set your email program not to send html, which makes the makes 3-4 times as large and contributes nothing useful.

Best regards,

Nguyen