baslinux - Re: [BL] postscript network printers

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] postscript network printers
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:20:17 +0000 (UTC)

My postscript printer is now plugged in and heating the room. (I can set it to power down after 15 min of non-use, but it is 15 degrees F today outside). It has 10MB RAM and can do 600 dpi and both PCL and PS. I printed one test page. Since then it won't print without jamming paper but I can read the 123 page manual with xpdf.6-18 paper jams, causes of jams. 6-15 toner smear, vertical streaks. Section 4 is on how to clean the printer to avoid jams.

My partner, before leaving the country for 5 weeks 'fixed' the paper feed by sanding the roller. It used to not feed any sheets at all. He probably fed it one before it started jamming.

xpdf is SLOW. pdftotext converts this pdf file to gibberish - why? The printer is very fast (after a 60 sec warmup) but I can't use it to print the manual until I read the manual;=(

Thought I can't actually print a sheet and have it come out of the printer, I tried sending it a text file converted with dos2unix, to unix format. Nothing tried to print, I got the prompt again.

I was able to print with gs and ljet4 (but I can't see what it did until I learn to unjam the jammed sheet. I finally got the top cover open). You can set the printer to auto - to use either PCL or PS (which is installed, along with the extra 8MB RAM that lets me use 600 dpi if I don't waste it saving settings). There are built-in printer fonts. I wonder why I can't print plain text like on the smaller II plus (300 dpi if you add 1.5MB RAM) and smaller-newer-but-bad-paperfeed 6L. The manual does not mention plain text.

I will after cleaning whatever causes the paper jam (assuming I don't need to replace an expensive part)

pdftops filename.pdf|cat > /dev/lp0 (is this right?).
cat `pdftops filename.pdf` > /dev/lp0 ?

I used the parallel port connection. Can I use an RJ45 hub with two computers and one printer and non-crossover cables? I see no way to set the IP address via the menu so will try udhcpc. Nothing in the manual about ethernet/network printing.

I was going to try udhcpc but seem to have messed up busybox. I can't even use ls now. Will use BL3 to copy from another computer.

BL3 busybox has udhcpc, BL2 does not. Can I replace the BL2 busybox with BL3 busybox?