baslinux - Re: [BL] postscript network printers

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] postscript network printers
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 01:21:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 12/12/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
I do still need to clear the paper jam to test if I can ftp (or netcat) a
PS or PCL file to the printer. How would I print only one page of a PS
file via ftp?

Manually edit the PS file. Or use psselect that comes with ghostscript.

I compiled gs 8.30 and there is no psselect. So it does not 'come with' the source code that I know of. pdftops comes with xpdf.

I found a man page for psselect which refers to pstops (which I also don't have) and they come in psutils package. psnup puts multiple pages on one sheet of paper and would be useful for printing my camera manual (all pages are 1/4 size printed at 300 dpi and came originally as a small booklet).

MANIFEST.gz for SW71 has a psutils.htm but not psselect itself.
Source code is at:
ftp://ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk/pub/ajcd/psutils.tar.gz
along with Win32 binaries.

There is an a2ps (ascii to ps?)

rpmfind has a version 1.17-13 (they are up to at least 1.25 now) for RH7.3
that needs glibc-2.1.3 and /usr/bin/perl and rpmlib 4.0-1 (what is this?). I tried rpm2targz and got 'short read' and only 86 bytes.
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat-archive/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/psutils-1.17-13.i386.rpm.

Slackware 9.1 and 10.0 have it. Linuxpackages does not.

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS/psutils-1.17-23.src.rpm. Application x-rpm. 70K.
rpm2targz .... gzip: Short read. What am I doing wrong?

I will read up on this, thanks. I also need a way to remove the turquoise
and yellow backgrounds, I think, before printing to mono printer.

Here is what I got from the website. What script would delete the spaces
in front of each line?

No script, just use the 'cut' command from busybox.

cat infile | cut -c10-

Does this produce an output file or just display to screen?

This will remove the first 9 characters on each line.

David