baslinux - Re: [BL] postscript network printers

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] postscript network printers
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:35:02 +0000 (UTC)

QMS finally called back while I was here and explained that the flash rom (eeprom?) on the 'controller' (motherboard) is bad ('image checksum error') and no, we can't solder in a new one with a soldering iron, but I can buy a replacement controller. They named two wholesalers.

One of them found the part number and can order the controller for $823.85. For about $500 I can buy the entire unit, refurbished.

QMS support suggested selling the toner cartridges on ebay. They are at least $50 each new and there are four of them. Anyone want them?

I will try out the older HP si monochrome printer instead. It is said to have fed some sheets of paper (after the roller was lightly sanded) and printed a page from DOS (printscreen?). I am hoping it will work with netpbm as a deskjet printer at 600x600 dpi. Have not looked inside for hard drives or memory.

People give us such interesting toys.