baslinux - Re: [BL] burning multi session CD

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] burning multi session CD
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:56:05

On 25 Nov 05 at 15:50, davidjmoberg AT gmail.com wrote:

> Here is what I would do (insert ide-scsi module(s) first if necessary):
>
> mkisofs -R -J file1 file2 | cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0 -multi -data -
> mkisofs -R -J -M /dev/hdc -C `cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0 -msinfo` file3 |
> cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0 -multi -data -

I did not know that -R and -J could appear together on the command
line. I understood from the documentation that I must not use -J, but
-R in order to create a CD that will be readable not only in W98.

> Multisession CDs burned in Windows/DOS (I'm not sure about DOS
> mkisofs) will probably _not_ work in BL3. From the kernel config:
> # CONFIG_JOLIET is not set

This is interesting. Are there probably other configuration variables
concerning /dev//hdc?

> > Can Linux read multisession CDs burned with Win98?

I think so. But I do not know as I have never burnt a CD in W98. May
be can find the Nero program that came with my CD-RW drive.

> I think this is the problem (no Joliet support in BL)
>
> Joliet is a Microsoft-specific extension to the ISO9660 CDROM
> filesystem format. Support for it in Linux is optional. Joliet provides long
> filenames and I think it also provides long filename support. Native Linux
> CDs use RockRidge (usually in addition to Joliet) which is similar but
> incompatible.

Forget about Joliet. I definetely did _not_ use the -J option. This
cannot be the reason why Linux refuses to mount my CDs.

> > > The software (cdrecord 2.01) and command lines are identical.
>
> What's your command line?

i:\cdrom\mkisofs -R -o c:\temp\image.iso %1
i:\cdrom\cdrecord dev=0,0,0 -multi -eject c:\temp\image.iso

I was not sure whether it makes sense to add the -data parameter.
Documentation says this is in order to support some Sony hardware.
If you apply the parameter -data on multi session CD you get a
different mode number in the track list (1 instead of 2). But
this obviously does not make any difference in view of the mount
problem.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov