baslinux - Re: [BL] burning multi session CD

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Sheldon Isaac <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] burning multi session CD
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:15:50 +0000 (UTC)

=============
On 13 Nov 2005 at 18:35, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
I tried the P2 kernel on my loop installation, but lost some
of my functionality - couldn't play MP3, OGG or even MPEG. :(

The P2 version of the 2.2.26 kernel works fine for me
(mplayer works). Did you add the 2.2.26 modules?
insmod soundcore
insmod sound
insmod uart401
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=0 mpu_io=0x330

I just booted the first zimage (458,327 bytes) you made available with
kernel 2.2.26, and did those insmods. As I recall, there was a problem with
sb; I guess some of the things like the io, irq, etc were wrong for my
system. What should I do? Adjust BIOS settings regarding ISA/PCI etc etc?
Or is there some way to diagnose and fix this based on the error message? I
tried to direct the output to a file, but it didn't work.

What is the exact error message?

First less /proc/interrupts will show you which IRQs are already taken.
Try one that is already free. Some sb16 cards need irq=9.
/proc/dma lists only 4 as being taken on my computer.
You don't need the mpu part unless you have external midi device.
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 works on my card.

Some cards can use dma= 0 1 2 and dma16 3 4 5 but others can only do dma16=0 1 or 2. I think if you use dma16=0 1 or 2 you can't play and record at the same time. Don't quite understand, but some cheaper cards omitted something. Try dma16=5 instead of 0 if you don't have a Vibra16 X (C seems to be okay) or Soundblaster Basic card.

You can also get the DOS sb16 software and run the diagnostic program to learn what IRQs and io are possible. io=240 is another option. If your card has jumpers (it will probably also have an IDE connector if so), you need to jumper it to match your linux sb settings (and choose settings for irq not taken by your other ISA cards such as modem or ethernet).

To actually hear anything you also need the sound devices. I posted a 'mkssnddev' to make them at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl - just run that script (you might need to be in /dev/ at the time).

Or simply download Christof's sound package for BL3 or BL2 and install it (I think it makes the devices too), and it includes other things you need to play .wav files, such as sox (also found in sox.tgz). Use the included script 'play' to play .wav files.

Use 'workbone' to play CDs. Workbone needs a link in /dev/ from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc (or whatever is your cd-rom drive):
cd /dev
ln -s hdc cdrom
Workbone also needs numlock turned on.

To listen to CDs, you don't even need sound drivers. You can stick headphones or speakers into the CD player and listen directly with workbone (or by pressing the play button if your drive has one).

To use mplayer you need the sound modules, but not play.
mplayer filename.wav or mplayer http://URL-of-streaming-audio or
mplayer dvd://1 plus either configuration file or something on command line to tell it to use oss
/root/.mplayer/config - add ao=oss
CLI: mplayer -ao oss

Anyhow, how do I see whether sound works? You mentioned mplayer ? I
don't recall whether I used that, or whether I ever was able to paly sound
files or CDs with Basic Linux. I can't find a mplayer on my computer drives
that looked as though it's for Linux. Where do I get it?

David Moberg compiled a static version for P1 and posted it somewhere. I have a copy at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/mplayer4.tgz (his fourth attempt - one earlier version required a P2) but it downloads slowly (1-2K/sec). He also came up with a way to listen to streaming audio called mplay, needed for an earlier version of his mplayer, using pcm as the audio device and play as the player. Read the archives (when they are reachable) for the details.

> What are the advantages of kernel 2.2.26 over 2.2.16 ?

Support for USB was not available for 2.2.16, so Steven compiled it in his 2.2.26 kernel (which is supposed to do most usb devices but not mass-storage - David's 2.4.31 kernels do mass-storage but little else), to which he also added sound support. I am told 2.2.26 also boots loop BL3 on a P2 that gets a kernel panic with 2.2.16 (which it does on our two Gateway P2s).

There are BL3 2.2.16 kernels for 386 (i386 -default), 486 (i486), p1 (i586)
The new 2.2.26 are for 486, p1 and amd k6 and k6/2, p2 and k6/3 (i686).

A 386 kernel is larger than 486 is larger than 586.
Are the 2.2.26 kernels larger than the 2.2.16, since they include sound and usb?

Thanks,
Sheldon