baslinux - Re: [BL] burning multi session CD

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] burning multi session CD
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:50:50 -0800

On 11/25/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:
>

> > Hi list,
> >
> > Is there anybody on this list who has got experience with burning
> > multi session data CDROM? After heaving read quite a bit of
> > documentation I was able to burn them on my Linux 2.2.16 (BL2)
> > system. Then I found the DOS port and after having spent quite a lot
> > of time with trial and error I was even able to burn multi session
> > disks in DOS (version 7.10/W98SE). BUT: The Linux system does not
> > mount them.
>
> Please describe how you burned multi-session CDs so I can try it.

Here is what I would do (insert ide-scsi module(s) first if necessary):

mkisofs -R -J file1 file2 | cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0 -multi -data -
mkisofs -R -J -M /dev/hdc -C `cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0 -msinfo` file3 |
cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0 -multi -data -

(The above are only two lines; if newlines have been inserted, please
remove them)

Replace device numbers as necessary. (e.g. use dev=0,1 instead of
dev=ATAPI:0,0 and also use /dev/scd1 instead of /dev/hdc)

Multisession CDs burned in Windows/DOS (I'm not sure about DOS
mkisofs) will probably _not_ work in BL3. From the kernel config:
# CONFIG_JOLIET is not set

> Maybe the older mount command was not as complete.

It is complete enough.

> Can Linux read multisession CDs burned with Win98?

I think this is the problem (no Joliet support in BL)

Joliet is a Microsoft-specific extension to the ISO9660 CDROM
filesystem format. Support for it in Linux is optional. Joliet provides
long filenames and I think it also provides long filename support.
Native Linux CDs use RockRidge (usually in addition to Joliet)
which is similar but incompatible.

> > The software (cdrecord 2.01) and command lines are identical.

What's your command line?

David