baslinux - Re: [BL] New kernel for BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New kernel for BL3
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:19:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

constant wrote:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/2_2_26
---------------------------------------------------------------------->
Let me know if you want 4dx and P1 versions of the 2.2.26 kernel.

For me the P1 please ;-)

OK, I've just uploaded 4dx, p1 and p2 kernels.

I checked configuration.

The kernels have no scsi support. It would be nice to have one non-minimal p1 kernel with scsi support and support for the most common scsi card (an adaptec that I have three of), but I can use my own 2.2.16 kernel for this (and the scsi zip drives that are being thrown out everywhere, and the Apple scsi disks that we found a box of, and the three free external scsi CD burners that we made internal).

They have USB support for hid/mouse/keyboard, and for printer, and ACM (modem?), but not for USB serial (is this needed for a USB modem?), or for scanner/microtek (we have a Microtek USB scanner that we can only use so far in Windows), or for the 'experimental' usb-storage. The scanner might need scsi support anyway, and there are parport scanners around. But I think all digital cameras made since 2000 require USB (usb-storage) unless you have a pcmcia adaptor for the memory card (or a DOS parport CF adaptor or IDE-CF adaptor or the like). And there are also USB card readers, memory sticks, and probably other such storage devices. It might even be possible to run BL3 from a memory stick some day.

I appreciate that the new 2.2.26 kernels are nice because of bug fixes, and for anyone who has to or wants to use usb mouse, keyboard, modem, or printer, but one additional p1 (i586) kernel with the experimental usb-storage and maybe also scsi scanner/microtek support, even if larger, would be helpful.

If this won't be forthcoming, I will continue trying to get the SW81 kernel to insmod usb-storage, with the SW81 insmod rather than busybox, and if that fails, put SW91 onto at least one computer for use with the cameras and the USB scanner. (In the meantime I also found, at the curb, a power supply for my camera with the direct serial download, but it will be a 90 minute download of 50MB from a 5-year-old camera, with linux photopc.)

It would be nice if BL could handle 5-year-old hardware, because that is about the age when you can get it free from friends. Steven, many thanks for adding pcmcia and this much usb. It must have taken you several hours to download the kernel source for 2.2.26 - over 15MB. With a USB memory stick one might be able to do this at a library and copy to the stick. Libaries are not happy about us plugging in serial or parallel devices, or sometimes even floppy disks, but they don't seem to mind USB devices.

Maybe I can download at a friend's house and copy to zip disk, to compile my own scsi/usb kernel.

Thanks again. I am about to try the p1 kernel with startx