baslinux - Re: [BL] GS

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] GS
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:33:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, mikkel meinike wrote:

Hi

I have just installed postscr.tgz from slackware 4 and now I would
like to test it for previewing PS file. I would like to read a whole
book about nroff troff.
I am new to GS but from what I have herd it should be possible to view
PS files with GS whit out GV. GV should just be some kind of front end
to GS. Again from what I understood the default output of GS should be
the screen so;

The default output of the version that I compiled is X, but you don't get very good resolution using gs directly to read, even if you set X to a high resolution. I don't know why - let me know if you find a way to improve this.

I posted 'bmv' (for BL2, and the later version of it may need the SW81 glibc), which views ps files using svgalib and lets you choose the resolution, rotate, and shift easily. But the quality is still not that good if you are viewing images.

For reading text, either of these methods should work.

Or you can download xpdf (the latest precompiled version requires the SW81 glibc) and either
View a pdf file with xpdf - rather slow but very good quality output
Convert to ps with pdftops (a CLI program included in xpdf) and use bmv
If it is only images, use pdfimages and view with zgv or xli
If it is mixed text and images, pdftopbm (choose a high resolution)
If it is only text, use pdftext - the formatting may be messed up, but this gives you a smaller file that you can read with less.

gs filename.ps
should do it.
so I startx, open an xterm, change to the dir where the file is, do:
ps upf-book.ps
All I get is a messages in xterm window telling my about some of the
configuring in GS (thats what it looked like) Now maybe the book was
to big or something. In the ghost script dir there is some examples I
try one of this do:
ps alphabet.ps
Exactly the same thing happens again.
Do you have an idea about what is wrong and how I can preview
postscript files in my vga16 xwindow.
Which version of gs are you using? Maybe in your version, X is not set as the default viewer and you need svgalib.

In /etc/profile you can set the default to whatever you want.

Can you tell us the exact message you get about configuring?

I suggest if there are no pictures you try pdftotext first, Is there a version of xpdf that works in BL3 without a later library? There is a DOS version of the latest xpdf (CLI programs only).

If xpdf does not have pstopdf, look in gs.
/Mikkel