baslinux - [BL] BL3 and XP

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 and XP
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:55:46 +0000 (UTC)

Will 2-FD BL3 access an XP hard drive?
If not, is there a small kernel I can use that will fit into the 2-FD system (assuming I can figure out how to change it and there is space)?
Or will DamnSmallLinux work?

A friend is hoping to at least get the files off his hard drive in a computer which stopped booting and has Windows on it. Best Buy repair people gave up on it. We don't have an XP boot disk - should we try to get one from a friend or don't they use boot disks any more.

BL2 2-FD did a perfect job of repartitioning and formatting the XP 10.2G drive in a 'new' computer to Linux Ext2, and after I copied the right ethernet module to the second disk and insmodded it from there (insmod ./3c59x) , I was able to transfer files over the ethernet cable using simply send/receive (without tar or gzip, they actually take longer). Until now we have been using PQMagic and first putting in a DOS drive with BL on it to do the file transfer.