baslinux - Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:23:40 -0700

On 9/2/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> > There is an add-on for an x-server on the BL3 sites, which replaces
> xvesa automatically.
> >
> > Try: http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/index.htm and get
> no-xvesa.tgz

You also need an Xserver package, correct?

> I have a 75MHz Compaq laptop which did not work with xvesa or no-xvesa.tgz
> until I added a modeline suggested by David to the XF86Config file.
> This will give you 640x480 at 256 colors, which is all my laptop can
> handle unless you plug in an external monitor.
> I have posted the XF86Config file for my computer at
> keesan.freeshell.org/bl/XF86Config.....
> (something with wd in it in /bl/ ). You probably have a different chip.

Oh! I forgot about that little adventure. It seems that both laptops have the
same chip.

(To the original poster:) So you should only need to install the no-xvesa.tgz
package from the BL3 website, then install the x1/xsvga.tgz package from
Slackware 4.0. (Get it here:
http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-4.0/slakware/x1/xsvga.tgz)
To finish the installation, get Sindi's XF86Config from:
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/XF86Config.wd90c24.640 and download
that to
/etc/XF86Config. Move it there, do _not_ create a new directory in /etc.
You should then be able to start X.

Or if you prefer, you can use the xvg16 package from slackware, but you will
be limited to 16 colors (as in muLinux) and it will probably be slower. If you
use the XF86Config from Sindi's site then you will need to adjust the color
depth option to 4 or less (from 8) if it will even work at all.

> Someone else suggested running xvidtune to learn more about your monitor,
> but how can it be run if you can't even run X?

It can't. Xvidtune is mainly useful if you have a mostly-working modeline, but
the screen goes off the edge of your monitor.

> For another combination of chip and monitor, I looked up the name of the
> MONITOR and found a modeline that worked. In this case try looking up the
> exact model of the computer and/or the exact video chip.

I think that your configuration file should work.

> Mine is some model of wd (Western Digital Chips and Technologies)
> that other people had posted modelines for (for the monitor). This is
> the video chip used on several brands of laptop computer.

His is a 486 Compaq, which is similar to your laptop, right? I think that it
does have the same display and graphics chipset as yours.

> I don't understand the relation between video chips and monitors - in one
> case I looked up the video chip, in the other case the monitor.

In both cases it is the monitor which affects the modeline. Since that video
chip is tied to a particular built-in LCD screen model, you can also search
by chipset and find the right modeline. The modeline basically specifies
display timings which your monitor can handle.

> I think the xsvga server (used by no-xvesa)

I thought that you could use other servers.

> gives info about the video chip when it exits (ctrl-alt-backspace).

It might roll off the screen if there is a lot of information.

David