baslinux - Re: [BL] Help

  • From: Ron Clarke <ron AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Help
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 08:42:32 +1000

Hi David,

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:55:26 -0800
"David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com> wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
>
> > The /etc/resolv.conf from Peanut just contains the two DNS numbers:
> >
> > nameserver 202.83.64.2
> > nameserver 202.83.64.3
>
> Here is the /etc/resolv.conf from Mandrake 9.0 (which seems to use
> the ISP's DNS servers automatically, even when I chroot:)
>
> ------------------
> search localdomain

That also appeared in the Sw9.1 resolv.conf using wvdial v1.54 (freshly
compiled), but wvdial v1.41 does not have that option.

> # ppp temp entry
> ------------------
>
> There is also an option for pppd which tells it to use the ISP's DNS
> servers. I'm not sure how you get eznet/wvdial to tell it to do that.

That is not available in wvdial.conf for v1.41.

> I just tried your eznet.conf file with my ISP (after adding the proper tty
> name, username, password, phone #) and it tried CHAP first, even though
> my ISP gives a login prompt with wvdial. I'm not sure what is going on
> here, so I guess the important thing is that wvdial works with your ISP.

My original eznet.conf was working fine with 4 different ISPs, until my
main one changed.
Now only three work, but I agree the main thing is I am back on the air, and
I have learned something.

Regards,
Ron

--