baslinux - Re: [BL] Christof's sb-bl2.tgz sound package

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Christof's sb-bl2.tgz sound package
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 03:45:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I cannot find this package at the original address
http://www.volny.cz/cce/sb-bl2.tgz - has it moved?

Must have. volny.cz/cce appears to no longer have anything
which is BL-related.

I think Christof used a different mixer than with the BL3 package.

I tried to use aumix from the BL3 package in BL2 (with the required
dependencies) and 'error opening mixer' - how would I fix this problem?

/dev/mixer does exist and is a character device with major/minor of 14,0,
correct?

It works in BL2 on another computer, same exact sound card.

I suspect either a bad /dev/mixer file or a hardware/software conflict.

I just spent several hours playing with BIOS settings (I left IRQ3 set to ISA) and ctcm and awe64, and now I can no longer play .wav files in DOS (low level driver error with 'play', msp squawks) but linux is working perfectly with sound) and suddenly aumix is working here. Before this I could play wav files in DOS but linux had some IRQ/DRQ error.

So you were right, it was some conflict, and I would not have thought to check it again.

DOS plays midi but not wav if I set sound to IRQ 5. It wants IRQ9, but then linux won't work. I don't want to deal with isapnp and I don't need to play wav files in DOS.

http://217.109.169.18/download/basiclinux/sons-2.tgz

I had looked at this but it is 700K and I don't need another mp3 player and my free 'ISP' has been downloading at speeds of 0-100K this week (and just connected me at 16,800, despite last times being 19200, 49333, and 28,800). I wonder if the storms that got my two 56K modems also got some of their computers or phone lines. (One of my modems now works at 14.4, but at higher speeds won't do ATI commands, and someone said it might be something to do with the power circuit, so maybe a shorted diode?).

Aumix will help a lot with these nice loud unpowered speakers.

David