baslinux - Re: [BL] Playing CD's

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Playing CD's
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 04:12:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Ken Martwick wrote:

I have recently become aware that newer PC's do not have an audio cable from the CD drive to the audio board if they were to be used with Microsnot Win. Is there a common way to play CD's under Linux without a cable?

You would think it would be enough to omit serial port, floppy drive, and ISA slots!

cdda2wav to rip the CD to one big fifo audio.wav, then 'play'? On the model of mplayer and play. I had to use cdda2wav from SW81 instead of 71 to get around copy protection. mplayer can also rip wav files, I think.

If your CD-ROM drive has a headphone jack and a play button, plug the speakers in there and push the button. This also gives you volume control with the little wheel.

Ken Martwick