baslinux - Re: [BL] Message body is too big: 67905 bytes with a limit of 40KB

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Message body is too big: 67905 bytes with a limit of 40KB
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:47:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

How would someone attack and do any damage as user?

There are many methods of getting root access from a
user account. Up-to-date distributions are designed
to block all known methods. When a new method is
found, distributions are updated to block it.

I can't think of how someone telnetted and logged in as user could get at the rest of my files to change anything, but I suppose they could upload files to /home/user and fill the hard drive.

Can I set in.telnetd somehow to accept logins only from certain users on a list? Why am I not asked for a password when I log in as user? Could I change things to ask for a password?
And, yes, there are malicious users who scan the internet
for vulnerable Unix-type systems. Having root access to
anonymous systems is useful for crackers, spammers, and
hardcore porn distributors.

What would they want to use my computer for? A dialed-in computer is not very useful to send spam through, is it?

If we use this setup to share a modem connection, it
still seems unlikely anyone would telnet from elsewhere
to our dialed-in computer.

Yes, a dial-in connection is less likely to be compromised
than a 24/7 connection. It is certainly much less useful
to crackers (etc). However, you might be unlucky and get
a malicious attempt at the precise moment you dial in.
Even then, however, it is unlikely the malicious user will
get control of your system (because his rootkit is unlikely
to run correctly in the minimalistic BL3 environment). The
most likely result is a system crash or perhaps a corrupted
filesystem.

How would this happen? Would I notice if someone from outside were telnetted into my computer?

Can someone from outside damage our computer if we are
running httpd?

Even though httpd is a network server, it does not pose
the risk that telnetd does. httpd is restricted to a
particularly directory and has no way of providing a shell
to remote users (AFAIK).

Is that also accessible only as user?

All http clients are served the same. No client has write
access to the server (AFAIK).
I will try it some time soon.

Got to go find my partner the 'real' sed. He keeps running into commands not present or not working completely in busybox. I installed sh_utils and txt_utils already - is there any other package that would help?