baslinux - Re: [BL] Message body is too big: 67905 bytes with a limit of 40KB

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Message body is too big: 67905 bytes with a limit of 40KB
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:23:52 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I can't think of how someone telnetted and logged
> in as user could get at the rest of my files to
> change anything,

A popular method is to create a buffer overflow
that results in root access.

> Can I set in.telnetd somehow to accept logins only
> from certain users on a list?

Yes, but you would need to run it from from inetd
(which is the normal way of running a telnet server).

> What would they want to use my computer for? A
> dialed-in computer is not very useful to send spam
> through, is it?

They don't know it's dialed-in. They simply see an
open telnet server and jump on it. As I said before,
their rootkit is unlikely to work on BL3. But the
attempt to install it might hose your filesystem.

> How would this happen? Would I notice if someone
> from outside were telnetted into my computer?

It takes very little time to install a rootkit
(the purpose of which is to conceal all signs of
the invader). If the installation is successful,
you will probably notice nothing.

> Got to go find my partner the 'real' sed.
> He keeps running into commands not present or
> not working completely in busybox. I installed
> sh_utils and txt_utils already - is there any
> other package that would help?

Did you look for sed in MANIFEST.gz ?

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru