baslinux - Re: [BL] ppp Not working all the time.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: rvijay07 <rvijay07 AT myway.com>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ppp Not working all the time.
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 04:58:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, rvijay07 wrote:

Yes, turning off the computer seems to work. I tried it three times. The
third time, it hung on the first try. I ran pppsetup again to verify all the
info. and it worked. So basically I am assuming that things are OK. If
anything else in this regard comesup I will share in this list.

When ppp-on was hanging, I did a ctrl-c and then typed ps, no new prceosses showedup. Also, when I did a ppp-off, it said ppp not active.

Useful information. Something that is not ppp is keeping the modem from dialing so ppp-off is not helping here.

How come turning of the PC before every boot is helping ? I would like to know the reason. Please explain.

I suspect your modem is not going 'on-hook' when you type ppp-off.
I have one modem that will not dial unless I first tell it to go onhook with ath0 and then dial. (Even if I turn it off and on again first).
If it is not 'on-hook' the dialing program may think it is busy and refuse to dial.

Try adding to the end of your script on the first page of pppsetup (eznet.conf)

0 init1 ath0

This might accomplish the same thing as turning off the power to the computer and modem, and let you dial with ppp-on.

I have another modem that won't dial unless I first tell it manually ath1 (go off-hook). Modems can be odd.

Thanks.

Vijay