baslinux - Re: [BL] ppp Not working all the time.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: rvijay07 AT myway.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ppp Not working all the time.
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:54:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, rvijay07 wrote:

--- On Sun 03/06, < 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org > wrote:

not the other times, the<br>most likely cause is: you are typing

This is not true at all. I am typing everything the same way all the time. Sometimes when I press ppp-on it just dials and stays as such. It doesn't do anything. This is very confusing, not sure how this can be corrected.

It dials but does not connect? I don't understand 'stays as such'. Please explain more clearly.

Does your modem always work in another OS?

I tried to copy /var/log/messages and it didn't work. There is nothing logged
for the ppp errors.

What are the limitations of BL1 and BL2 as opposed to BL3 ? Are these still supported ?

I am still using BL2, which is probably LESS limited but larger. It is based on a newer libc than BL3 or BL1 (which use libc5).

BL1 and BL2 do not come set up with X by default, but there are simple instructions for adding X in 16-color mode. Using them in X with more colors is a challenge requiring that you configure for your card and monitor.

BL3 comes with a version of X called Xvesa which supports more colors and is easy to set up but has a few disadvantages (it does not work on all video chips, or work if you boot from MS DOS 6.22 or older with himem.sys loaded, or even work in 8-bit color - 256 colors). It is designed for older computers with little RAM (I got it working very slowly in 3MB RAM) but 8MB is a lot better, or 12M for the floppy disk version) and small hard drives (25MB or more).

BL3 is also much simpler to install to hard drive than the earlier versions because you don't need to add any other packages.

BL3 and 2 use the kernel from Slackware 7.1. BL1 uses an older kernel (Slackware 3.5?) which is not capable of working with some programs (including Xvesa, I think).

There may eventually be another version out based on a smaller library. Steven, the author of BL's, is looking into this.

He compiled special kernels for all three versions. They have slightly different features, but you can always use the larger kernel from Slackware if some feature is missing (or learn to compile a kernel yourself - it was not as hard as I thought but takes space and time).

What do you want to use linux for?

The members of this list use it for various purposes, some of them rather odd. We used BL1 for a course in C++ (for compiling). BL3 for a course on shell scripting. Both times on a 486 laptop. I use BL2 for my work, with an upgraded library (glibc 2.2.5 instead of 2.1.3) so I can use precompiled programs requiring it.

Thanks.

Vijay