baslinux - ASUS P5A-B won't 'play' ripped .wav, was Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: ASUS P5A-B won't 'play' ripped .wav, was Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:59:50 +0000 (UTC)

My other ASUS, a P5A-B which differs from the first one in how you set bus speed but has the same super socket 7, also will play .wav files that came with the SB drivers but won't play them if they are made by cdda2wav from a CD. It plays the CD with workbone, but play won't work in linux. DOS msp will work.

Error;
Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error.

The other ASUS had something about hda: DMA hdb: DMA etc. in dmesg, unlike the computer where play worked which had hda:pio, so I went hunting for this but found neither in dmesg here.

I did find
PCI_IDE Bus-Baster DMA disabled (BIOS) - is this relevant?

In BIOS I tried changing
PCI-BIOS IRQ 5 used by ISA from no to yes - which made sb not work at all.

Then I tried changing
ide1 PIO/DMA mode from Auto to 0/0 or 1/0
This did not help either.

I have CMOS set mostly to defaults (I disabled USB support, added the B: floppy drive, set some sleep settings, disabled Com2).

Apparently the problem is related to the motherboard or else to the default BIOS settings.

I tried to use cdda2wav on this computer, with the NEC 4-tray CD-ROM drive, which kept timing out. 9000+ jitter (but the one with 12,000 jitter did not time out, it just made unrecordable files). This is not the best drive for ripping anyway since it is 4X and I have 48X drives, but it would have been interesting to try to use cdda2wav on four trays. DOS identifies them as four partitions/drives (G: H: I: J:) but linux reports ATAPI 4X CD-ROM changer w/4 slots. Perhaps this is what is confusing cdda2wav, tho I did use the first slot. DOS has a special driver but the drive also has four buttons (eject).

So I could not test whether cdda2wav -e worked to play files as it copied them at 1X. I also could not rip the wav file on this computer but I did so on the 6X NEC (no jitter at all) and sent via ethernet (which was not working - I have to keep pushing the cable in harder). The sound was not working either until I turned on the powered speakers.

Some day I may try bplay or splay instead of play.