baslinux - Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:33:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

I have just determined that I have a computer (ASUS with K6 350MHz cpu) which will play wav files UNLESS I ripped them with cdda2wav. I tried various different CDs, and I tried two sound cards. They are both Soundblaster Creative AWE (AWE32 and AWE64) and they play wav files form other sources but with wav files ripped from a CD they complain of a DRQ conflict.

I ripped the same wav file from the same cd using the same version SW81 of cdda2wav on the other computer, which has an awe32 vibra16 card, said to be incompatible with sb.o, and it plays perfectly there.

The original CD plays on both computers.

Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
(pages and pages of this). Is it motherboard related somehow?

I don't see how this could be related to copy protection.
Has it happened to anyone else?

I will try the other ASUS motherboard, similar age and cpu speed. Super Socket 7. 100MHz bus speed.

DOS msp can play the .wav files made by DOS cd2wav or linux cdda2wav, but linux play cannot.

I tried play from SW81 but it had the same problem. Should I also try a later sox?

The only thing I found in dmesg that might be relevant is:
hda: DMA hdb: DMA hcd: DMA hdd: DMA

On the computer where 'play' works in linux these are hda: pio etc.
I found mention of hda: DMA and hda: pio in various linux-kernel discussions, also mention of sound problems on other ASUS boards. Time to try the other ASUS board on a ripped CD.

This is not at all important, just odd. I don't normally play .wav files but I wanted to make sure they were ripped correctly before burning them.