baslinux - Re: [BL] shell scripting

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shell scripting
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 20:55:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Why are ash.tgz and zsh.tgz in ap1 while bash and
tcsh are in a-something directories on the linux CD?

Because bash is the default shell and tcsh is the
second most popular.

Slackware 4.0 has 1.14 and 2.03
I prefer 1.14

Does bash.tgz contain both of them?

No. bash.tgz is 1.14

Why do you prefer 1.14?

Smaller. Tried and true. Can do everything I need.

I don't think I need to also leave in /bin/sh because
it is actually a pointer to busybox /ash and the SW40
ash is probably more complete.

I doubt it. ash is the deluxe shell for busybox.
It is supposed to be complete. It is also more
up-to-date than the SW40 version.

So can I just make a symlink
ln -s /bin/busybox /bin/ash
and delete the ash from SW40?

could I do that anyway once bash is installed (and the
dosemu script can invoke it)?

Yes, as long as bash is where the #! line of the
installation script specifies.

The dosemu script that I tried to run after untarring dosemu is /bin/sh.
I will edit to /bin/bash and try again.

Could we then make .login and .cshrc and .zshenv etc.
and have them invoked whenever we logged in to a terminal?

Where do those files live? If the live in /etc, then
there should be no problem (assuming that's where the
those shells look for their config files). However,
it's a different story if the files go in the home
directory of a user. Perhaps those shells have a
parameter to specify the location of the config file?

We will find out eventually. man zsh.