baslinux - Re: [BL] BasLinux.gz

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasLinux.gz
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:59:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Which part was too complicated? You gunzip baslinux.gz.
You mount it.

How do you mount a file system rather than a partition?

You always mount a filesystem. Sometimes it's
on a separate partition. Sometimes it's on a
floppy. Sometimes it's in a file.

mount /hd/baslinux.gz /tmp ?

First you gunzip baslinux.gz. That gives you baslinux.
mount -o loop /hd/baslinux /tmp

I don't understand the -o and loop business so I was reluctant to try this. Do you want to explain how loop works? (You probably did before but maybe this time I know enough to follow).

This method of modifying BL2 baslinux.gz requires that you have it on hard drive. I managed to modify BL3 and save the results to a floppy disk, which would make Bl3 usable on a laptop computer with dead hard drive.
With 8MB or more of RAM.

Do you have a loop-type method of modifying BL3?