baslinux - Re: [BL] BasLinux.gz

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasLinux.gz
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:36:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Can the Bl3-ramdisk version be modified using a loop?

No, the ramdisk version is completely different from
the loop version.

the only way I came up with was to change the boot
procedure to be like Bl2 ramdisk

Unfortunately booting with DOS+loadlin wastes a lot
of space compared to booting with lilo.

How large is lilo compared to
DOS system files + autoexec.bat + config.sys +continue.bat + loadlin?

I still got the whole root disk into 720K with about 450K kernel. Another advantage is I can take my 2-disk set and install it directly to a DOS partition to boot into RAMdisk there, just copy over loadlin, zimage, and bl3.gz to a directory in DOS. But this would not work if I had not removed a lot of BL3 (X and some modules) to fit the file system onto just one floppy disk, otherwise I would have had to reconstitute the .gz from two parts as in BL2. And I don't know if it would even have fit onto two floppy disks without the deletions. It is certainly not as good for impressing friends with, without the graphics. I still might use it next weekend for accessing mail via telnet on Windows computers (with external modem).