baslinux - Re: [BL] BasLinux.gz

  • From: root AT smtp4.vol.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasLinux.gz
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:27:46 +0000

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 07:40:46PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> >>gzip /tmp/ramdisk to produce /tmp/ramdisk.gz
> >
> >Hi Sindi, Steven,
> >
> >is it REALLY that simple? I am still working with a quite complicated
> >routine (included in the BL FAQ) to re-create baslinux.gz for BL2 and
> >experience a lot of mysterious problems with it.
> >
> >Christof
>
> SOmeone else on the list came up with the above method, which works easily
> for me. Steven's method was too complicated to understand.
>
> You need to do this on a computer with 12MB or more RAM so that you will
> have a second ramdisk with /tmp on it. With BL3 I did not have a second
> 4MB RAMdisk and had to come up with another method.

I tried 'cat /dev/ram0 >/tmp/ramdisk' and got an error. The disk seemed to
be full even though there were 16 MB RAM on that computer.

Then I mounted the DOS partition and tried 'cat /dev/ram0 >/hd/ramdisk'
and it worked! Now I have my modified BL2 RAM version do all the mail
uploads and downloads for my DOS mail client. I problably will create
even other other specialized BL2 RAM versions if it is that simple.

Christof