baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Sleeping Forever on Boot Problem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: dv5o-ndbq AT dea.spamcon.org
  • Cc: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Sleeping Forever on Boot Problem
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:12:29 +1300

Les Myer @ Hotmail wrote:

> Does BL3 automatically use my swap partition,
> or do I need to set that up?

To activate swap do the following:
----------------
swapon /dev/hda2
----------------
Execute 'free' to confirm swap is working.

If there is some problem, it probably means your
swap partition has not been formatted. To format
it, do the following:
----------------
mkswap /dev/hda2
----------------
WARNING: before you do the above, make sure your swap
partition is actually located at /dev/hda2. To check
do the following:
--------
fdisk -l
--------

Normally swap is activated automatically at system
startup. You can do this by putting the swapon line
in /etc/rc.

> I only have 12MB on this old Compaq LTE Lite 4/33C
> notebook and I think BL3 could probably benefit from
> a swap file. What do you think?

I agree. I have a laptop with 12mb RAM and I use a 24mb
swap partition on it. That works well (even for running
X applications). If you are short of HD space, you can
get by with less swap, but try to make it at least 12mb
(the same size as your RAM).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru