baslinux - Re: [BL] editing a Czech EXCEL file with linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] editing a Czech EXCEL file with linux
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:25:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:32:57 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

Is there some linux CLI (or even X) program smaller than StarOffice that
will deal with Excel files and let you edit and output something that MS
users can import? I did not in a quick search find an xl2csv convertor.
Would sc import csv and let me edit it?

I use gnumeric from SW7.1, in BL2. :)

You will need to install a heap of stuff (I guess most of Gnome) in order
to get it to run, but it will read, write and save as Excel files.

Thanks, but I really DO NOT want to have to use GNOME, I would rather just turn down jobs that have to be returned in Excel format. Since they are short on Czech science translators they are still putting up with me while I try to find a better solution than a text editor.

If they can export the Excel to csv, is there a linux CLI program that can edit csv, and would let me fill in table cells? Is this something that I could do easily with a text editor and then send back csv? I am not familiar with csv format. What I got had a lot of empty spots that might have been marked as empty cells in the original but not in the html that they sent. I have a few DOS spreadsheet programs and maybe one of them can deal with csv.