baslinux - [BL] BL2 Problems

  • From: Joel <aspendr AT telus.net>
  • To: Basic Linux Mailling List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 Problems
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:43:44 -0000

I just installed BL2 after much encouragement, and half to admit, it is quite superior to BL3. (Or at least for my needs) I have a few problems that I've encountered. Here they are.
-Changing root, and other user's password. (Creating users I understand, just edit /etc/passwd , but you have to encrypt things and, well yeah. There's gotta be command to change them.
-Configuring the mouse in X. I installed all the appropriate packages, however during one particular, (I'm not sure which one) it gave me a quick "Xsetup" wizard. It said something about configuring differently if it was an MS mouse or something. Anyway, when I start X, the cursor doesn't work right, it just flies around the screen when you move the mouse. I'm wondering where I can edit the configuration for the mouse.
-Configure icewm. When I start it, I just get a start bar, with a kernel monitor, and a few pixels on the left. All the menu has is window list, and logout menus, and once again, I'm wondering where the configuration files are. They're certainly somewhere else than in BL3.
-XDM. Once I get my passwords going, I'm wondering how I can get XDM to run at boot, and where the config files are to make sure it starts X.
If anybody know's anything about any of this, that would be great!

-Joel