baslinux - Compiling SANE for HP scanjet on BL2 was Re: [BL] Run programs

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Compiling SANE for HP scanjet on BL2 was Re: [BL] Run programs
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:23:59 +0000 (UTC)

I managed to compile SANE 0.57 on BL2 but I had to add to all the Makefile's on the CFLAGS and CPFLAGS lines (after configuring, or I could have done this to Makefile.in first, I think)
-I/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include

Why was this necessary? Otherwise the compiler could not find various include files. Is BL2 missing some piece, or might I have deleted something I should not have?

I compiled statically so that I will be able to use with BL3 or BL2 (or I could have compiled with shared libraries and added to BL3 the BL2 library). I now have various libraries in .a instead of in .so. Does this indeed mean I can use the files in BL3 with libc5?

To use SANE I need to ln -s /dev/sg0 /dev/scanner
Or some websites say to use /dev/sga - does it matter which I use?

I picked 0.57 because 0.50 was the first version to support HP scanjet and I figured they would have fixed a few bugs before 0.60. The later sane's are enormous. This was about 250K download and includes xsane and mustek and qcam and net and wire, which I do not need. I will not do a make install but copy over only the parts I need. (Wish me luck).

SW8.1 has a SANE package but it is huge and I am told has many dependencies such as libjpeg USB IEEE (parallel scanners), and it supports many scanners that I do not have. I have a scanjet 3p and a 5p (color).
These plug into scsi cards specific to the scanners.

I found an hp and another tutorial that says to add to hp.conf the line: scsi HP C2570A 3540 (for the scanjet 3p - each scanner is different)

Modify dll.conf by remarking out all but hp or leave in pnm if you want to use GIMP and virtual devices. (whatever that means). I will remark out the mustek and qcam lines.

As frontend I can then use scanimage, and the manual explains how (for once it is very readable). You can specify -d (or --device) hp:/dev/sg0 or put the line in /profile to specify the default or hope the software guesses correctly. --format pnm (or tiff) --mode L (or Lineart) --filename /tmp/input.ppm . There are defaults (pnm and gray).

This is a SCSI scanner so I need to load SCSI modules - which ones?
scsi_mod sr_mod and sg? (I already installed these for my CD burner).
I don't think I need a special kernel (like I did for sound).

And reboot after turning on the scanner because otherwise it will not find it. scanimage -L lists available devices. I can put a line in profile to specify which device to scan with or let the computer find it if I have no other scsi devices set up.

/etc/profile - add
export SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE /dev/sg0 ??

You have several different options:
* compile libc5 binaries
* compile static binaries
* use BL2 instead of BL3 for running glibc2 binaries
* add glibc2 libraries to BL3
* do your compiling on BL3

Will BL2 actually run programs compiled with Redhat 9 or would we need to add the later version of glibc2? Or do some programs work with 2.1.3 and some don't, depending on what features they call for?