baslinux - [BL] editing a Czech EXCEL file with linux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] editing a Czech EXCEL file with linux
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:32:57 +0000 (UTC)

I was sent an Excel file to translate. Four columns, with instructions to 'just fill in the English'. The original was in Czech, probably with MS CP-1252. It got converted safely to HTML and I was able to read it with links after loading 8859-2 charset (CLI) and setting links to use that charset in Setup. I then saved formatted version and had some readable Czech I could edit with a text editor, but it was a pain to type in columns and I had to redo the Czech column narrower to fit it into 80 columns total.

Is there some linux CLI (or even X) program smaller than StarOffice that will deal with Excel files and let you edit and output something that MS users can import? I did not in a quick search find an xl2csv convertor. Would sc import csv and let me edit it?