baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 on 386sx no-copro update

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 on 386sx no-copro update
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 00:03:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Some old video cards are very slow. Very, very slow.

We have a 386 board into which we put 4M RAM and tested
two video cards with it. First was 512K video RAM

8bit or 16bit?

16 bit ISA. Are there 386s that do VESA video?

Then we put in our fastest ISA video card with 1MB RAM
and it displayed just as slowly.

I found a big difference between 8bit VGA video cards and
16bit VGA cards. VLB video cards are even faster.

I would not try to use a 386 as an Xterminal because of
video speed, even with a fast video card, a copro, or
8MB RAM

A 386dx40 with 8mb RAM works fine as an Xterminal
(particularly when it's running VLB video). I ran
such an Xterminal for a long time. It performed well
(better in fact than my 486sx25).

We did not try with 8MB RAM because the 486sx did not display any faster with more RAM. Our 386 was 33MHzSX not dx, with coprocessor added.