baslinux - [BL] Starting X at boot + passwords

  • From: Joel <aspendr AT telus.net>
  • To: Basic Linux Mailling List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Starting X at boot + passwords
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:05:50 -0700

What I've done, is when I run "startx" it runs xlock, and then icewm once you've gotten past that. Of course, when I try to add "/usr/X11/bin/startx" to /etc/rc, it complains when run and says "/etc/xinit" not found. Writing this, I realize I can create an alias, but how would I go about doing that? Would I add something to /etc/profiles?

Second, when xlock runs, it says this:

Blah about the mode.... (ignore this)

Name: root@basiclinux
Password:

And then when you type something or not, nothing appears. There's no cursor or anything. Just when you hit enter, it says "Verifying password" and then continues to icewm. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to change the "root@basiclinux" and password. I'm on BL3, and I know you've told me 10,000 times to switch to BL2, but I'd really prefer to stick to BL3, just because all my settings are in BL3.

I know this is getting off topic, but if I WERE to create a dual boot with BL3 and BL2, would I be able to just create a new partition starting at the middle of the blocks on my main partition. All this about Linux keeping the drive neat...is that really true? Right now I have two partitions:
/dev/hda1 Ext2 BL3 partition
/dev/hda3 Compaq Diagnostics Partion (don't ask)

I'm assuming I can just fdisk in between sectors. Thanks.