baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 on 386sx no-copro update

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 on 386sx no-copro update
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:05:30 +0000 (UTC)

I think a worthwhile experiment would be to run the Xterminal
at the lowest possible resolution. 640x480x1 ???
Perhaps if it had fewer pixels to push around, it might
perform a wee bit better?

I'll try and conduct such a test soon.

You said it worked at 800x600x12. I don't there actually is a 12-bit color depth (at least not for Xvesa) and in my experiments Xvesa selects the closest equivalent. It uses 15-bit if available, and if not then 8-bit (which does not work). In your case, with 256K video RAM, I would not expect 8-bit color to be possible so it probably selected 800x600x4.
Try viewing an image.

You can find out what video modes your card supports in DOS using whatvga2 (shareware). Our 512K card supported no more than 640x480x256 colors. Some went to 4-bit at 800.

I would really like to see the xsetup menu changed to a choice between 4-bit and 15-bit. If there is no 15-bit Xvesa uses 16-bit. If neither, 8-bit, but people with only 8-bit color maximum should be warned somewhere in the BL3 instructions that it won't work and to sekect 4-bit. Also that links2 and abiword require more than 4-bit.

I got two more emails from abiword Bugzilla. Someone with a French address decided to take over this bug and changed it from WONTFIX to FUTURE. The two of them are arguing over whether 4-bit color should be an enhancement. If anyone else from our group wants to write them maybe it would make a difference. Sign up for bugzilla and search on 4-bit color (or keesan).

Perhaps the Xvesa person/people could be persuaded to fix 8-bit color but I have not figured out where to write for that.

We have a 486 that does 4-bit greyscale and has 8MB RAM and is therefore not usable for Abiword or Links2 (except in SVGAlib mode).

James