baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 on 386sx no-copro update

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 on 386sx no-copro update
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 00:24:08 +0000 (UTC)

Natually, I've been interested to see what you would be able
to do with your 386sx25, and I appreciate you taking the
trouble to try it.

I think a worthwhile experiment would be to run the Xterminal
at the lowest possible resolution. 640x480x1 ???
Perhaps if it had fewer pixels to push around, it might
perform a wee bit better?

And finally, I'll just ask if you think upping the RAM
in this machine would make it useable as an xterminal?

Upping the RAM from 4mb should have a noticeable effect
on X (but whether that will be enough to make it "useable"
remains to be seen).

I can't easily try that (no 30 pin simms of larger size here),

What you need is a pair of 4mb 30pin SIMMs.
Your 386sx takes pairs. 386dx and 486 systems need
four SIMMs at a time. I don't suppose Sindi has an
odd pair of 4mb SIMMs?

We had them in fours but I put two into an SB card that only takes pairs (instead of 2x1MB) so yes we have an odd pair if James wants to try a 386 with 2x4+2x1MB (10MB). I used 8 of these for my first BL machine - a 486 with pentium overdrive processor.

Are there 386 laptops with 8MB RAM? I don't think a lot of people will still be trying to find uses for a 386 desktop (tho we still have two boards).