baslinux - Re: Serious BL2 unzip/crash problem fixed with e2fsck -b superblock: was Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Serious BL2 unzip/crash problem fixed with e2fsck -b superblock: was Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:46:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

got a segmentation fault.
I had to power off and on again.
I tried to reboot back into BL2.
It took about five tries on this computer to get
past the 'Not an image file' message
now occurs more than half the time on this computer

Clearly there is a hardware problem with that computer.

On all three computers of this model motherboard I have the same problem.
Hal has it on one of his too. Works fine with Win9X DOS but not always with the others. I can handle this.

I needed to find some way to fix BL2

Don't worry about BL2. Fix (or discard) that computer.
Nobody has ever found us a fix other than using Win9X DOS which I do not want to do because I cannot Defrag without Win9X. That is our best computer otherwise - 233MHZ and it takes 4x64MB SIMMs. The other fast computers have 2-3 DIMM slots except one which won't take these SIMMs.
Using lilo would also fix this problem but I tend to use DOS a lot still
for wordprocessing (also to go online to read email with a scroll buffer on the TTL monitor).

> >> I suggest using not linux unzip but pkunzip on the latest >> bl3-32fd.zip file.

There's nothing wrong with the Linux unzip.
It works fine on bl3-32fd.zip.

It worked for you, but for me it did not. Maybe the fs.img file confused it? I tried twice with the file in a DOS partition then once in a linux partition. I don't want to mess up the superblock again trying.

I had assumed linux unzip would work

It does.

Steven, can you 'unzip' bl3-32fd.zip with linux unzip
in BL2?

Yes. It works fine. BL2 is what I use all the time.

I would replace the computer but it is the fastest one that will
take our four 64MB SIMMs.

Don't let that stop you. The sporadic hardware fault is
causing you far more grief than a slightly slower system
would.

Lilo would fix that. A slightly slower system also would not have the three ISA slots that this one does.

Anyone else have linux unzip problems on the bl3-32fd.zip file?

I can also boot with the .tgz file of BL2 on a Win9X formatted floppy disk and with DR-DOS on hard drive, instead of Win98X DOS floppy disk and .tgz on hard drive.

Something to do with how the FAT system works (FAT12 floppy disk) which I don't really understand.

It has something to do with how the motherboard was designed but why is it intermittent? Now working about 4/5 of the time. Corrosion burning off? Weather dependent? New working computers are no challenge.