baslinux - BL3 Loop does not like Win98SE was Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: BL3 Loop does not like Win98SE was Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:08:37 +0000 (UTC)

Summary of problems to date:

I have BL3.32 in loop running on several computers, including a Gateway with Win98 and one hard drive. It will NOT work on another Gateway, same board (but slightly faster cpu) with Win98, both SE, but this other one has two hard drives. Different brands of hard drive, no other differences that I know of, PII Slot1, MMX Intel cpus. 233 and 300MHz.

BL2 works from RAMdisk or ext2 partition with loadlin.
BL3 works (3.21 and 3.32) from floppy disks (lilo).

I tried F5 to bypass system files - did not help.
I booted from a Win98 rescue disk (without CD-ROM support) - no help.

This hard drive was probably formatted with PQ-MAGIC, not with DR-DOS because it has hda2 and hda3 as D and E not backwards.
The one that came out backwards was formatted wtih DR-DOS and has Win98FE on it.

I tried booting from floppy disk with DR-DOS 7.03, FreeDOS, and MSDOS-6.22, and in all three cases the loop version works. If I boot with Win98SE DOS it gives me a kernel panic, 100% of the time.

So now I have one computer that will not work with BL3 loop unless I use some DOS (booting from floppy disk) other than Win98SE DOS (have not tried FE or 95), and the other computer that half of the time will not work with any linux ('Not an image file' it says - for RAM, HD or loop linuxes) unless I DO boot (from floppy disk) using Win9X DOS (DR MS6.22 and PC don't work nor does FreeDOS according to Hal on his similar board).

If I use Win98X DOS to boot I need to boot without system files to do Xvesa. I would not bother with Win98 on this computer except I cannot
get Realaudio to work with linux and have yet compiled gs for pdf 1.5.

Perhaps I should move the Windows hard drive to the other computer which needs Win98 to boot linux, which would give me DR-DOS on this computer to let me use the loop BL3. Perhaps if I promise never to move this furniture again my partner will open up the two computers and switch drives, except Windows tends to go crazy when you move it. Perhaps if I
move the sound card and video card? One is a PI and one a PII - any suggestions as to whether this would destroy Windows? No ISA slot for my TTL card in the Gateway but we have one external modem.......

Phooey on Windows.

Right now I need to keep a spare boot disk in A: to (1) use BL3 loop or Xvesa with the Win98SE computer or (2) to be sure I can boot into any linux with the other DR-DOS computer. This is no worse than taking off my glasses to read and losing them all the time. I could tie the boot disks to a string and hang them on the wall.

Final summary:

People should be warned that the loop BL3 may not work on certain computers with Win9X DOS and to try a different DOS.

I have not yet installed to HD but I expect that to work okay.

I will see if linux unzip works any better on this Win98SE computer.