baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:03:30 +0000 (UTC)

I did md5sum on fs.img for BL3.32 on the computer where BL3.32 and BL3.00 do a kernel panic (loop version) but BL2 works in RAMdisk and in its own linux ext2 partition. It is the same number as on the other computer from which I transferred the zip file, and where it DOES work. So fs.img appears to be okay but BL3 won't boot. It booted on another computer with the same motherboard (a PII Gateway) with a slower cpu (300 vs 233). I will see if it works on another 300MHz computer (Opus PI Socket 7 instead of Intel PII Slot1 motherboard).

Do other people have BL3.32 or any BL3 working on a PII? Slot1 cpu?

Only other odd thing about this computer (which was given to us with no known problems), which has Win98 DOS on it, is the Virge video card, which two of my DOS viewers (QPV and Display) won't display with. I did have BL3.32 booting on the other Gateway (same DOS) with an STB Lightspeed video card (which Xvesa does not like). So this is probably irrelevant.

And on this computer syschk said there was some sort of memory issue that required me to add D=64 to the emm386 line in config.sys, so I may try booting without a config.sys next. But I think the other Gateway had the same problem and it DOES boot BL3, in fact I tried BL3.32 first on there before these two computers, because it is otherwise just a Win98 computer with no linux partitions available.

Bypassing system files (skipping the emm386 stuff) did not help. Where it goes wrong is apparently:

Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3
attempt to access beyond end of device.

In BL2 (which I am using at present) it proceeds to VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

Might BL3 work on this computer if I changed rw to ro and added whatever else BL2 uses to later make it read-write? I don't see anything obvious.
From there it frees unused kernel memory and lods modules.

Maybe there was some good reason we do not know about for the SW7.1 approach with ro?

On the other computer where it works I also have hdb1 hdb2 hdb3.

What might be letting BL2 boot but stopping BL3?
Some PII hardware bug that was caught by the time of SW7.1?
I might try BL1 as an experiment. Or BL3 floppy/lilo.
More in an hour after I download that version.