baslinux - Re: [BL] install troubles----what the problem is....

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] install troubles----what the problem is....
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:22:45 +1300

Mr Christopher Rose wrote:

> I want to thoroughly delete the vfat filesystem
> and put a ext2 filesystem onto it.

I recommend you make more than one partition (assuming
your HD is big enough). This will give you greater
flexibility. Also, you may need to have a swap
partition (depending on how much RAM is on the system).

How big is the HD? How much RAM do you have?

> I have tried running fdisk /dev/hda and I keep
> trying to set up the partition.

Trying? Is something going wrong? Do you see the
partition when you do:
--------
fdisk -l
--------

> Then I run mke2fs /dev/hda

/dev/hda refers to the whole HD, not a partition.

> It tells me that I setting up the whole device and not
> just a partition.

The first primary partition on that HD is called /dev/hda1
The second primary partition is called /dev/hda2

There are four primary partitions on each HD. I recommend
you create primary partitions.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru